来自: Reserved

登录航海网,拥抱全世界

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
本帖最后由 徐鹏 于 2022-5-19 21:10 编辑

Visit Sanya, China Dog Cafe Special

CV 29 May 15th Leg 7 Race 11

Shiyi Cao

I might be an average sailor, but I do have a reputation for my cooking in the Clipper race. Some fellow crew members from my previous boat Zhuhai did openly announce they would jump ship to Visit Sanya if possible, for food’s sake.

This time in the “Dog bowl cafe” aboard Visit Sanya there are many good chefs. Within a week we have already been treated with Will’s magical tuna salsa tacos, Andrew and Izzy’s heavenly mash and sausages, Colin and John’s warm cheese salami wraps, and of course Carl’s perfect bread. New joiner Taylor from China came prepared with all his secret wild looking Chinese ingredients wowed the boat with his hand rolled beef ball with Sichuan peppercorn fried cabbages.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw3.jpg

Shiyi(十一姐)

Besides the beautiful sunrise, sunset, moonlight, stars, satellite chain etc what caught my attention is that on this leg we are gifted by the nature with some local fresh food like the “Jump-on-deck-free willed-never-frozen-squids”. Teamed up with Taylor we have already introduced a few posh farm-to-table cuisines like quick boiled whole warm squid, squid eye and body lettuce tomato orange walnut salad, and British style fried squid. After a series of Squid specials, some became big fans of the ring parts of the squid.  Dickie, who prefers the boiled than fried, John, who co-invented the fusion version of squid and chips with imagined chips, Su has become the deputy watch leader in charge of squid picking on the morning watches. We are even in discussion of adding the squid picking duty to the 2-6 night watch job list.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw4.jpg

Harvest from the sea  

Yet the executive decision of keeping the eyeballs in the salads is still frowned upon. I did it for a very good reason though. In the safety training back in 2019 we were told in situations like we had to abandon the ship and got into a life raft floating in the ocean forever waiting for rescue, and very sadly we have ran out all our normal food like steaks, cookies and chocolates, we would have to try catch some fish to eat, but it is important that we shall eat the eyes not the body because… I can’t remember the exact reasons but the key point here is that we would be better off eat the eyeballs than the meat. As we practice saving Bob all the time, shouldn’t it be equally important to get use to eating the fish eyeballs aka “nutritious eatable pearls”?! Before it’s too late?!

Just like many other great ideas not getting accepted easily, my initiative of combing “free steak from the sea”“eat-local” and “lunch time-survival-skill-training” is under performing. Afshin is eating more and more of the bottled Chinese chili sauce. Colin starts to avoid being in the galley together with me. Mike gets over cautiously of what’s in his dog bowl and he is not only watching out for olives. People start to call Taylor the best chef onboard and so on. I knew that I had to up my game.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw5.jpg

Icecream for dessert  

Therefore on a steaming hot day on board visit Sanya, I have created this very yummy, pretty, refreshing, good for summer weather, only one pot needed and eyeball-free “Cold rainbow noodles”.  Key ingredients includes noodles, eggs, cabbages, red and green pepper, bacon, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic... Squid and “pearls” can be added but I didn’t this time just to win back the boat’s heart. It turned out to be simply beautiful and delicious, of course sold out within an eye blink. Andrew had a whole 2nd bowl with just the noodles and sauce. Poet Taylor said it was poetic. And to finish the fine dining experience on visit Sanya there is some galley-made ice-cream for dessert, of course with the most beautiful sunset as the backdrop.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw6.jpg

Dickie licking the bowl  

Well, I think we are in heaven. And I have secured the celebrity chef title on visit Sanya for now, well, at least until when Taylor is the mother again the day after tomorrow.

Cheers,

Shiyi

PS. If you would like to get the detailed step by step zero failure secrete recipes for the “Visit Sanya cold rainbow noodles” and “Visit Sanya boat ice-cream(3 flavors available)” please donate to Unicef “For every Child” on Chief Squid Picker Su Baldwin’s fundraising page:

JustGiving.com/fundraising/su-baldwin

登录航海网,拥抱全世界

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
本帖最后由 徐鹏 于 2022-5-19 21:10 编辑

Visit Sanya, China Dog Cafe Special

CV 29 May 15th Leg 7 Race 11

Shiyi Cao

I might be an average sailor, but I do have a reputation for my cooking in the Clipper race. Some fellow crew members from my previous boat Zhuhai did openly announce they would jump ship to Visit Sanya if possible, for food’s sake.

This time in the “Dog bowl cafe” aboard Visit Sanya there are many good chefs. Within a week we have already been treated with Will’s magical tuna salsa tacos, Andrew and Izzy’s heavenly mash and sausages, Colin and John’s warm cheese salami wraps, and of course Carl’s perfect bread. New joiner Taylor from China came prepared with all his secret wild looking Chinese ingredients wowed the boat with his hand rolled beef ball with Sichuan peppercorn fried cabbages.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw3.jpg

Shiyi(十一姐)

Besides the beautiful sunrise, sunset, moonlight, stars, satellite chain etc what caught my attention is that on this leg we are gifted by the nature with some local fresh food like the “Jump-on-deck-free willed-never-frozen-squids”. Teamed up with Taylor we have already introduced a few posh farm-to-table cuisines like quick boiled whole warm squid, squid eye and body lettuce tomato orange walnut salad, and British style fried squid. After a series of Squid specials, some became big fans of the ring parts of the squid.  Dickie, who prefers the boiled than fried, John, who co-invented the fusion version of squid and chips with imagined chips, Su has become the deputy watch leader in charge of squid picking on the morning watches. We are even in discussion of adding the squid picking duty to the 2-6 night watch job list.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw4.jpg

Harvest from the sea  

Yet the executive decision of keeping the eyeballs in the salads is still frowned upon. I did it for a very good reason though. In the safety training back in 2019 we were told in situations like we had to abandon the ship and got into a life raft floating in the ocean forever waiting for rescue, and very sadly we have ran out all our normal food like steaks, cookies and chocolates, we would have to try catch some fish to eat, but it is important that we shall eat the eyes not the body because… I can’t remember the exact reasons but the key point here is that we would be better off eat the eyeballs than the meat. As we practice saving Bob all the time, shouldn’t it be equally important to get use to eating the fish eyeballs aka “nutritious eatable pearls”?! Before it’s too late?!

Just like many other great ideas not getting accepted easily, my initiative of combing “free steak from the sea”“eat-local” and “lunch time-survival-skill-training” is under performing. Afshin is eating more and more of the bottled Chinese chili sauce. Colin starts to avoid being in the galley together with me. Mike gets over cautiously of what’s in his dog bowl and he is not only watching out for olives. People start to call Taylor the best chef onboard and so on. I knew that I had to up my game.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw5.jpg

Icecream for dessert  

Therefore on a steaming hot day on board visit Sanya, I have created this very yummy, pretty, refreshing, good for summer weather, only one pot needed and eyeball-free “Cold rainbow noodles”.  Key ingredients includes noodles, eggs, cabbages, red and green pepper, bacon, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic... Squid and “pearls” can be added but I didn’t this time just to win back the boat’s heart. It turned out to be simply beautiful and delicious, of course sold out within an eye blink. Andrew had a whole 2nd bowl with just the noodles and sauce. Poet Taylor said it was poetic. And to finish the fine dining experience on visit Sanya there is some galley-made ice-cream for dessert, of course with the most beautiful sunset as the backdrop.

水手日记 | Leg7 Race11 China Dog Cafe Specialw6.jpg

Dickie licking the bowl  

Well, I think we are in heaven. And I have secured the celebrity chef title on visit Sanya for now, well, at least until when Taylor is the mother again the day after tomorrow.

Cheers,

Shiyi

PS. If you would like to get the detailed step by step zero failure secrete recipes for the “Visit Sanya cold rainbow noodles” and “Visit Sanya boat ice-cream(3 flavors available)” please donate to Unicef “For every Child” on Chief Squid Picker Su Baldwin’s fundraising page:

JustGiving.com/fundraising/su-baldwin

您需要登录后才可以回帖 立即登录
说说你的想法......
返回顶部