帆译作品 Micheal Tougias所作《极速风暴》书评

2015-12-1 20:32 · 帆译组
来自: 美国

登录航海网,拥抱全世界

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
Micheal Tougias所作《极速风暴》  书评
别抱太大期望

翻译者-------帆译组:张益博

62068565b1bec617e3.png

Michael Tougias的《极速风暴》,一个真实的救援故事,在一场如风暴般猛烈的飓风之后,沉没了三艘帆船。之前读过两个tougias叙述的早期关于航海的真实故事,所以对这本书特别期待。我们大多数水手都喜爱读一些海上风暴的事,但不希望自己会经历。或许主要是因为故事的戏剧性,但也可以学到许多当遇到风暴该如何去航行:我们能从别人那里汲取到什么。

这本书的标题是:“一个关于灾难,生存和令人难以置信的救援的真实故事”这一切都在书中?因此我兴奋的坐下来,开始读。但随着前30分钟过去,我开始怀疑,慢慢的变的烦躁,甚至开始生气,最终失望。这一两句无法解释清楚。

Micheal J Tougias
极速风暴

出版社,2013

214页,平装纸

内容简介

在2007年初夏,飓风季开始前,一个覆盖了东海岸至墨西哥湾(大致在中大西洋于柏木的之间)的天气预测系统,监测到形成了一个不可预测的怪像。

有三艘帆船恰巧碰上了,其中一艘彻底消失了,第二艘船受损沉默的比较慢,船员因此而得救。第三艘船受暴风雨袭击后沉的相对更慢一些。三人最终弃船登上了救生艇,接下来他们度过了很长时间直到被救。这本书就主要讲这三个人的苦难经历。

Tougias职业作家(自诚然完全不是水手)做了很细致调查,所以我们不去怀疑故事的准确性,我们从阅读一些小的有趣的故事中获得很多关于大海,天气以及很多科技产品的知识。

他也是一个熟练的讲故事的人,知道如何制造悬念和戏剧性,来有效的组织句子,让我们保持一直往下读而不去想太多,他也调查了他故事中的人,经过他细致的采访之后,又让他故事里的人表现的更好。
  那么为什么会不喜欢呢?

极速风暴或许会在畅销书之列,许多形容词,像“悲痛”,“苦难”被读者用来形容它,不可否认还有很多,但完全不是这样的,非水手读者会被故事陶醉,但我是站在水手观众的角度进行评价的,这样又会是另一个不同的看法。

缺陷
在书后面的笔记中,Tougias说“我为大众写书,我想要故事中的角色,别太集中在海岸警卫队或者是航行方面,我写书最初的目标就是保持出书快的节奏….

事实上,我也看到他被这一目标所驱使,但不幸的是,他似乎已经达到了一种狂热的状态,可以迅速的把读者烧了。我这里说的完全是他的写作技巧,根本不是故事本身的真实性。这三个人经历了地狱,我也并没有尝试着削减什么。但是Tougias在最开始的几页就建立了地狱,并且又拼命的让故事更残忍,这样为他保持编故事的张力。这儿有几个列子关于这本书是如何的的为了戏剧性而过度覆盖,至少对于水手来说,它最终失去了真实性。

故事中超过十多个人说海浪比他们见过的任何东西都大。Tougias超过上百次用拟人手法使大海和风暴看起来是一种邪恶的力量,想要杀害这些人,疲惫虚弱的文学技巧任使得故事失去其真实性,从而降低了档次。例如当人无精打采地在木筏上等待,他总是介绍一些新的可怕的事情让读者担心和翻页。在他们的经历中,他用尽了夸张,例如木筏翻了,他们担心溺水,他们不会被发现,等等等等。他一直需要一个新的恐怖来维持情节发展-又来了,我知道,鲨鱼!所以我们读到鲨鱼如何能攻击一个救生筏!哇,这里有一个故事,一个故事,实际上!哦,这些人一定是被活活吃掉的!

而且-哇,会不会在他们得救前直升机耗尽燃料了!救生员会不会太虚弱吐出了海水!船长会死在他的肋骨骨折!哦,我也提到过,他们都已经严重脱水非常接近的死亡!(同时,他们说“干”,因为他们在木筏上有好几个小时没有水了,我们的作者还是一成不变的恶劣环境描述,暴雨如洪水般,却竟然没有人张开嘴去接雨水喝?呵呵)

你明白我的观点。Tougias是如此努力,试图在几乎每一页都将恐惧提升到新的高度,但故事最终耗尽了自己和读者,甚至引起质疑。其实他可以用同样的方法写一个走到街角商店,充满危险的故事:强盗(通过身边的故事或者调查!)和一边的陌生人!人行道裂缝可以绊倒你!胆固醇凝结你的动脉每一秒都威胁你心脏病发作!我想是作者的怨恨太深…

最后,它使我想起了著名的 《完美风暴》的最后一幕,在70英尺左右的拖网渔船上,在持续的海浪中,飞了约5分钟。我记得我的小女儿,被吓坏了,后来问我大海是否真的是那样。在回答时,我们已经了解了电影海报在剧院大厅,为了展示了船与巨浪的搏斗,凸显船的规模,至少得有500英尺高。所以我可以向我的女儿微笑,说实话,没有,大海不是那样的。

还记得当罗伯特雷德福的电影《一切尽失》,刚出来,各大报纸的评论家盛赞它如何伟大-然后是所有的水手都在赞扬它是多么的不现实?我期待《极速风暴》收获一个类似成果。但现在,我倒有点担心他下一本即将问世的书,关于超高船的沉没,他似乎已经写了这一条,或许正在急于成为书的第一大我的发表呢?

心中有片海,眼前有束光
不小小纪 来自: 中国

Review of A StormToo Soon by Michael Tougias
Don't Expect TooMuch

Michael Tougias'sbook A Storm Too Soon is a true story of rescues after a hurricane-like stormsinks three sailboats. Having read two earlier maritime true story narrativesby Tougias, I was eagerly looking forward to this book. Most of us sailors doenjoy reading about - rather than experiencing - storms at sea, perhaps mostlyfor the drama of the story but also to learn more about sailing when caught ina storm: what we can learn from others.
The book'ssubtitle, "A True Story of Disaster, Survival, and an IncredibleRescue," says it all, and who could want more from a book?
So it was that Iexcitedly sat down and started reading - but before 30 minutes passed I wasgrowing doubtful, then slowly becoming irritated, even angry at times, andultimately disappointed. This can't be explained in just a sentence - read on.
Michael J. Tougias
A Storm Too Soon
Scribner, 2013
214 pages, paperback
What It's About?
In early summer2007, before the start of hurricane season, a weather system over the EastCoast and Gulf Stream roughly between the mid-Atlantic Seaboard and Bermudablew up into an unforecast monster.
Of the threesailboats caught in it, one disappeared entirely, while the crew of the secondwas rescued from the boat as it slowly sank from damage. The third sailboatsank more slowly after being shaken by the storm. The three men eventuallyabandoned this ship to their life raft, in which they spent many hours beforebeing rescued. The book is mostly about the ordeal of these three men.
Tougias, aprofessional writer (and self-admittedly not much of a sailor), does verydetailed research, so we don't doubt the overall veracity of the story, and wegain from reading lots of little interesting side stories about the sea,weather, and various technical matters.
He is also apracticed storyteller, knowing how to build suspense and drama - and able tostring effective sentences along to keep us turning pages without having tothink much. He also researches the people in his true stories, and afterdetailed interviews is able to make theirs a great human story as well.
So what's not tolike?
A Storm Too Soonmay hit the bestseller list and have lots of adjectives like"harrowing" and "riveting" used by reviewers - and no doubtmany, but certainly not all, non-sailor readers will be swept off their feet.But I'm reviewing the book for a sailing audience and thus have a differenttake.
The Downside
In a note at theend of the book Tougias says, "I'm writing for the general public, and Iwant the story to be character-driven rather than focusing too much on theinner workings of the Coast Guard or of sailing. My primary goal when writingis to keep the book fast-paced...."
I in fact do seehim driven by that goal, though unfortunately it seems to have risen to a feverpitch that can rapidly burn out the reader. I am talking entirely about hiswriting technique here - not the true story itself. Those three men wentthrough hell, and I'm not trying to minimize that in any way. But Tougias,having established the hell in the first few pages, has desperately to keepmaking it more and more hellish as he goes along in order to keep building thetension. Here are just a few examples of how the book is so overwritten fordramatic effect that, for this sailor at least, it ends up losingverisimilitude.
More than a dozenpeople in the story say the waves were bigger than anything they'd ever seen.More than a hundred times Tougias uses the literary technique of personifyingthe sea and storm to make it seem an evil force personally intent on killingthese men - and a wearying, weak technique it becomes. Whenever the true storyitself slows down a notch, such as when the men are listlessly waiting in theraft, he invariably introduces some new terrifying thing to keep the readerworried and turning pages. Having exhausted his hyperboles for theirexperiences as the raft turns over and their fears of drowning and not beingfound and everything else, he needs a new terror to keep going - wait, I know,sharks! So we read about how sharks can attack a life raft! Wow, here's a sidestory where one actually did! Wow, these men must have been terrified of beingeaten alive!
And on - wow, willthe helicopter run out of fuel before they're all saved! Will the rescueswimmer be too weak after vomiting up seawater! Will the captain die from hisbroken ribs! And oh, did I also mention that they're already desperately closeto death from dehydration! (Meanwhile, while they are said to"parched" because they have no water in the raft for these few hours,we have constant descriptions of the rain coming down in great deluges - hmm,no one ever raised an open mouth to the rain?)
You see my point.Tougias is simply pushing so hard, trying on almost every page to raise theterror to new heights, that the story exhausts itself and the reader may evenbecome skeptical. He could use the same techniques to make a walk to the cornerstore fraught with peril: Muggers (side stories and statistics!) and thatstranger over there! Sidewalk cracks can trip you! Cholesterol clotting yourarteries and threatening heart attack any second now! Methinks the author dothprotest too much....
Finally, it remindedme of the famous last scene in the movie of The Perfect Storm, where the70-foot-ish trawler steams up the face of that last wave for about 5 minutes. Iremember my young daughter, as horrified as a body could be, afterwards askingme if the ocean was really like that. In answer, we studied the movie poster inthe theater lobby, showing the boat fighting up that huge wave which to scalewith the boat would have been at least 500 feet high. So I could smile to mydaughter and say truthfully, no, the ocean isn't really like that.
Remember when theRobert Redford movie All Is Lost first came out and all the big newspapercritics raved about how great it was - and then all the sailors raved about howunrealistic it was? I expect a similar dichotomy with A Storm Too Soon. And nowI'm a little worried about his next book coming out soon, about the sinking ofthe tall ship Bounty - which he seems to have written simultaneously with thisone, perhaps in a rush to be the first big book out on the subject?

2015-11-29 23:45
翻译组成员【纪生中】-----偶是海洋知识搬运工。
豚豚小姐 来自: 山东青岛
生活和作品如果脱节太厉害,就丧失了它的文学价值
2015-11-30 17:16
2015-12-1 20:32
甚是赞同  详情 回复
端午 楼主 来自: 辽宁大连
豚豚小姐 发表于 2015-11-30 17:16
生活和作品如果脱节太厉害,就丧失了它的文学价值

甚是赞同
心中有片海,眼前有束光

登录航海网,拥抱全世界

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?立即注册

x
Micheal Tougias所作《极速风暴》  书评
别抱太大期望

翻译者-------帆译组:张益博

62068565b1bec617e3.png

Michael Tougias的《极速风暴》,一个真实的救援故事,在一场如风暴般猛烈的飓风之后,沉没了三艘帆船。之前读过两个tougias叙述的早期关于航海的真实故事,所以对这本书特别期待。我们大多数水手都喜爱读一些海上风暴的事,但不希望自己会经历。或许主要是因为故事的戏剧性,但也可以学到许多当遇到风暴该如何去航行:我们能从别人那里汲取到什么。

这本书的标题是:“一个关于灾难,生存和令人难以置信的救援的真实故事”这一切都在书中?因此我兴奋的坐下来,开始读。但随着前30分钟过去,我开始怀疑,慢慢的变的烦躁,甚至开始生气,最终失望。这一两句无法解释清楚。

Micheal J Tougias
极速风暴

出版社,2013

214页,平装纸

内容简介

在2007年初夏,飓风季开始前,一个覆盖了东海岸至墨西哥湾(大致在中大西洋于柏木的之间)的天气预测系统,监测到形成了一个不可预测的怪像。

有三艘帆船恰巧碰上了,其中一艘彻底消失了,第二艘船受损沉默的比较慢,船员因此而得救。第三艘船受暴风雨袭击后沉的相对更慢一些。三人最终弃船登上了救生艇,接下来他们度过了很长时间直到被救。这本书就主要讲这三个人的苦难经历。

Tougias职业作家(自诚然完全不是水手)做了很细致调查,所以我们不去怀疑故事的准确性,我们从阅读一些小的有趣的故事中获得很多关于大海,天气以及很多科技产品的知识。

他也是一个熟练的讲故事的人,知道如何制造悬念和戏剧性,来有效的组织句子,让我们保持一直往下读而不去想太多,他也调查了他故事中的人,经过他细致的采访之后,又让他故事里的人表现的更好。
  那么为什么会不喜欢呢?

极速风暴或许会在畅销书之列,许多形容词,像“悲痛”,“苦难”被读者用来形容它,不可否认还有很多,但完全不是这样的,非水手读者会被故事陶醉,但我是站在水手观众的角度进行评价的,这样又会是另一个不同的看法。

缺陷
在书后面的笔记中,Tougias说“我为大众写书,我想要故事中的角色,别太集中在海岸警卫队或者是航行方面,我写书最初的目标就是保持出书快的节奏….

事实上,我也看到他被这一目标所驱使,但不幸的是,他似乎已经达到了一种狂热的状态,可以迅速的把读者烧了。我这里说的完全是他的写作技巧,根本不是故事本身的真实性。这三个人经历了地狱,我也并没有尝试着削减什么。但是Tougias在最开始的几页就建立了地狱,并且又拼命的让故事更残忍,这样为他保持编故事的张力。这儿有几个列子关于这本书是如何的的为了戏剧性而过度覆盖,至少对于水手来说,它最终失去了真实性。

故事中超过十多个人说海浪比他们见过的任何东西都大。Tougias超过上百次用拟人手法使大海和风暴看起来是一种邪恶的力量,想要杀害这些人,疲惫虚弱的文学技巧任使得故事失去其真实性,从而降低了档次。例如当人无精打采地在木筏上等待,他总是介绍一些新的可怕的事情让读者担心和翻页。在他们的经历中,他用尽了夸张,例如木筏翻了,他们担心溺水,他们不会被发现,等等等等。他一直需要一个新的恐怖来维持情节发展-又来了,我知道,鲨鱼!所以我们读到鲨鱼如何能攻击一个救生筏!哇,这里有一个故事,一个故事,实际上!哦,这些人一定是被活活吃掉的!

而且-哇,会不会在他们得救前直升机耗尽燃料了!救生员会不会太虚弱吐出了海水!船长会死在他的肋骨骨折!哦,我也提到过,他们都已经严重脱水非常接近的死亡!(同时,他们说“干”,因为他们在木筏上有好几个小时没有水了,我们的作者还是一成不变的恶劣环境描述,暴雨如洪水般,却竟然没有人张开嘴去接雨水喝?呵呵)

你明白我的观点。Tougias是如此努力,试图在几乎每一页都将恐惧提升到新的高度,但故事最终耗尽了自己和读者,甚至引起质疑。其实他可以用同样的方法写一个走到街角商店,充满危险的故事:强盗(通过身边的故事或者调查!)和一边的陌生人!人行道裂缝可以绊倒你!胆固醇凝结你的动脉每一秒都威胁你心脏病发作!我想是作者的怨恨太深…

最后,它使我想起了著名的 《完美风暴》的最后一幕,在70英尺左右的拖网渔船上,在持续的海浪中,飞了约5分钟。我记得我的小女儿,被吓坏了,后来问我大海是否真的是那样。在回答时,我们已经了解了电影海报在剧院大厅,为了展示了船与巨浪的搏斗,凸显船的规模,至少得有500英尺高。所以我可以向我的女儿微笑,说实话,没有,大海不是那样的。

还记得当罗伯特雷德福的电影《一切尽失》,刚出来,各大报纸的评论家盛赞它如何伟大-然后是所有的水手都在赞扬它是多么的不现实?我期待《极速风暴》收获一个类似成果。但现在,我倒有点担心他下一本即将问世的书,关于超高船的沉没,他似乎已经写了这一条,或许正在急于成为书的第一大我的发表呢?

心中有片海,眼前有束光

Review of A StormToo Soon by Michael Tougias
Don't Expect TooMuch

Michael Tougias'sbook A Storm Too Soon is a true story of rescues after a hurricane-like stormsinks three sailboats. Having read two earlier maritime true story narrativesby Tougias, I was eagerly looking forward to this book. Most of us sailors doenjoy reading about - rather than experiencing - storms at sea, perhaps mostlyfor the drama of the story but also to learn more about sailing when caught ina storm: what we can learn from others.
The book'ssubtitle, "A True Story of Disaster, Survival, and an IncredibleRescue," says it all, and who could want more from a book?
So it was that Iexcitedly sat down and started reading - but before 30 minutes passed I wasgrowing doubtful, then slowly becoming irritated, even angry at times, andultimately disappointed. This can't be explained in just a sentence - read on.
Michael J. Tougias
A Storm Too Soon
Scribner, 2013
214 pages, paperback
What It's About?
In early summer2007, before the start of hurricane season, a weather system over the EastCoast and Gulf Stream roughly between the mid-Atlantic Seaboard and Bermudablew up into an unforecast monster.
Of the threesailboats caught in it, one disappeared entirely, while the crew of the secondwas rescued from the boat as it slowly sank from damage. The third sailboatsank more slowly after being shaken by the storm. The three men eventuallyabandoned this ship to their life raft, in which they spent many hours beforebeing rescued. The book is mostly about the ordeal of these three men.
Tougias, aprofessional writer (and self-admittedly not much of a sailor), does verydetailed research, so we don't doubt the overall veracity of the story, and wegain from reading lots of little interesting side stories about the sea,weather, and various technical matters.
He is also apracticed storyteller, knowing how to build suspense and drama - and able tostring effective sentences along to keep us turning pages without having tothink much. He also researches the people in his true stories, and afterdetailed interviews is able to make theirs a great human story as well.
So what's not tolike?
A Storm Too Soonmay hit the bestseller list and have lots of adjectives like"harrowing" and "riveting" used by reviewers - and no doubtmany, but certainly not all, non-sailor readers will be swept off their feet.But I'm reviewing the book for a sailing audience and thus have a differenttake.
The Downside
In a note at theend of the book Tougias says, "I'm writing for the general public, and Iwant the story to be character-driven rather than focusing too much on theinner workings of the Coast Guard or of sailing. My primary goal when writingis to keep the book fast-paced...."
I in fact do seehim driven by that goal, though unfortunately it seems to have risen to a feverpitch that can rapidly burn out the reader. I am talking entirely about hiswriting technique here - not the true story itself. Those three men wentthrough hell, and I'm not trying to minimize that in any way. But Tougias,having established the hell in the first few pages, has desperately to keepmaking it more and more hellish as he goes along in order to keep building thetension. Here are just a few examples of how the book is so overwritten fordramatic effect that, for this sailor at least, it ends up losingverisimilitude.
More than a dozenpeople in the story say the waves were bigger than anything they'd ever seen.More than a hundred times Tougias uses the literary technique of personifyingthe sea and storm to make it seem an evil force personally intent on killingthese men - and a wearying, weak technique it becomes. Whenever the true storyitself slows down a notch, such as when the men are listlessly waiting in theraft, he invariably introduces some new terrifying thing to keep the readerworried and turning pages. Having exhausted his hyperboles for theirexperiences as the raft turns over and their fears of drowning and not beingfound and everything else, he needs a new terror to keep going - wait, I know,sharks! So we read about how sharks can attack a life raft! Wow, here's a sidestory where one actually did! Wow, these men must have been terrified of beingeaten alive!
And on - wow, willthe helicopter run out of fuel before they're all saved! Will the rescueswimmer be too weak after vomiting up seawater! Will the captain die from hisbroken ribs! And oh, did I also mention that they're already desperately closeto death from dehydration! (Meanwhile, while they are said to"parched" because they have no water in the raft for these few hours,we have constant descriptions of the rain coming down in great deluges - hmm,no one ever raised an open mouth to the rain?)
You see my point.Tougias is simply pushing so hard, trying on almost every page to raise theterror to new heights, that the story exhausts itself and the reader may evenbecome skeptical. He could use the same techniques to make a walk to the cornerstore fraught with peril: Muggers (side stories and statistics!) and thatstranger over there! Sidewalk cracks can trip you! Cholesterol clotting yourarteries and threatening heart attack any second now! Methinks the author dothprotest too much....
Finally, it remindedme of the famous last scene in the movie of The Perfect Storm, where the70-foot-ish trawler steams up the face of that last wave for about 5 minutes. Iremember my young daughter, as horrified as a body could be, afterwards askingme if the ocean was really like that. In answer, we studied the movie poster inthe theater lobby, showing the boat fighting up that huge wave which to scalewith the boat would have been at least 500 feet high. So I could smile to mydaughter and say truthfully, no, the ocean isn't really like that.
Remember when theRobert Redford movie All Is Lost first came out and all the big newspapercritics raved about how great it was - and then all the sailors raved about howunrealistic it was? I expect a similar dichotomy with A Storm Too Soon. And nowI'm a little worried about his next book coming out soon, about the sinking ofthe tall ship Bounty - which he seems to have written simultaneously with thisone, perhaps in a rush to be the first big book out on the subject?

2015-11-29 23:45
翻译组成员【纪生中】-----偶是海洋知识搬运工。
生活和作品如果脱节太厉害,就丧失了它的文学价值
2015-11-30 17:16
甚是赞同  详情 回复
豚豚小姐 发表于 2015-11-30 17:16
生活和作品如果脱节太厉害,就丧失了它的文学价值

甚是赞同
心中有片海,眼前有束光
此人很懒,什么也没留下~